ButcherBox and Omaha Steaks are both hugely popular meat delivery services that go out of their way to keep their customers happy. However, they are designed with different carnivorous appetites and preferences in mind. To help you identify the strengths and weaknesses of both services and decide which one of them you should opt for, we have designed this convenient ButcherBox VS Omaha Steaks comparison.
- Price Range: $
- Average Price Per Meal: $2.50
- Shipping Cost: $17.99 *
- Delivery Area: all 50 states plus Canada, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands
- Price Range: $
- Average Price Per Meal: $149.00
- Shipping Cost: $0
- Delivery Area: 50 states
Compare Customer Reviews
- Submitted By Nick on 12/07/2019The ads were so inviting , so I tried a gift package myself before I gifted others this holiday season. Good think I did. The meat was flavorless and very small portion. I get much better quality at the local butcher. One star rating is too kind.
- Submitted By Missy thornsberry on 12/03/2019So I just called to place an order. I wanted to purchase 3 packages for gifts for my 3 children. I was told I could only order 2. That to me is absurd. You have missed out on a sale!
- Submitted By JD East on 10/17/2019I will never again order from them strictly on the basis that they use styrofoam. To be a mail order business, it is incredibly irresponsible to operate in this manner. Other temperature sensitive mail order businesses have stopped using this awful product.
- Submitted By paige A Kenausis on 09/25/2019Hugely disappointing. I loved Omaha Steaks and did not mind paying for them- up until a year ago. We invested in half of a cow- all beef, no chicken, no potatoes, no cobbler- just meat. We got 95 pounds for about $1200 which was not unreasonable for good beef. What we got was. . . meh, at best. Ultimately the meat was comparable to that of a middling grocery chain on a bad day. Maybe what Omaha Steaks used to sell is now what is labeled "prime reserve." Some of the burgers were pretty tasty (the brisket burgers), but very little else was worth even half of what I paid for it. Do not fall for the marketing, so-called deals or hype- just go to a butcher and support the local economy. Omaha Steaks is a marketing machine, and I am kicking myself for falling for it.
- Submitted By Tom on 08/29/2019Be careful prior to ordering. I was trying this service based on the 2 LB of ground beef for life. It wasn't until after the order had processed that there was any indication that the promotion was not part of my order. Even then, I only found out by making a call to customer service. Additionally, though the product is advertised as "less than $6.00 per meal", it actually comes out to anywhere between $12.00 and $17.00 per pound of meat. Very expensive. Needless to say, I have buyers remorse and cancelled the day after I first subscribed. (Of course, though I subscribed at 3:30 in the afternoon, the order "...has gone to shipping" by 7:30 the next day, forcing me to accept the order -- I wonder if they would have shipped a refund as quickly?
- Submitted By Tony on 08/23/2019Torn packaging - AGAIN. I signed up recently with the promo for Free Burgers for Summer. The first delivery came, the tops of each 4-pack of burgers were torn, and the top burger of each package was clearly freezer-burnt, so I decided not to trust the other burgers in the packages. I emailed customer service, sent pictures, got some non-related info about how their meat packaging may contain wrinkles or some nonsense, but they agreed to double the burgers in the following month's delivery. Received that delivery yesterday - two of the four 4-packs of burgers have torn packaging on top!Last month I did cook and eat everything I received (except the burgers), although I was very uneasy trusting the condition of the meat in all the other packages.Today I cancelled my subscription, and am going to request a refund for the entire box, as I don't want to eat any more meat from this company.
- Submitted By greg curran on 08/08/2019While pricier than our local butcher, the meat is so much tastier. I can't recall any other meat tasting as flavorful, fresh and delicious! Our only negative experience was with the St. Louis ribs, and after sending an email saying that we were disappointed, we were promptly given a credit for the ribs. I have never had any of the negative issues I see in some of the other reviews and I have recommended Butcher Box to friends and family...
- Submitted By Francois on 08/02/2019Butcher Box cheated me with a special that was to weigh 48oz (3lbs) but actually weighted 38.2 oz, that's 21% less . I hate companies that that are dishonest and ripp their customers. Can't trust= zero star.
ButcherBox is one of the easiest ways to enjoy the highest-quality, grass-fed beef, organic chicken, and heritage breed pork. The service offers an impressive range of antibiotic-free, hormone-free premium and convenience cuts and allows you to decide on both the quantity and selection of meat in your box. Read more about it in our ButcherBox review.