Meal delivery services can help you enjoy nutritive, wholesome foods even when you don’t have enough time for grocery shopping or meal prepping. Freshly and Blue Apron stand out among many meal delivery companies when it comes to the quality of both food and service. Our professional team made this informative Freshly vs. Blue Apron comparison in order to help you choose between these two renowned services.
- Average Price Per Meal: $9.99
- Shipping Cost: $0
- Delivery Area: 27 states
- Average Price Per Meal: $9.99
- Shipping Cost: $0 *
- Delivery Area: 48 states
Compare Plans & Pricing
|Meals per week||Price per week||Price per meal|
|Signature Plan (2 servings)|
|Meals per week||Meal kit price||Price per serving|
|Signature Plan for 4 (4 servings)|
|Meals per week||Meal kit price||Price per serving|
Compare Meal Options
Compare Sample Meals
Compare Customer Reviews
- Submitted By Brian on 04/02/2019My wife and I tried out Freshly for several months in 2018, with mixed results. The food was actually pretty tasty and most of them fit the diet we attempt to follow at home. The portion sizes are small, but for most meals I would still say they are adequate. The real problem was actually getting food delivered and that may or may not be entirely Freshly's fault. We canceled our plan after 5 consecutive weeks in a row they either forgot to send our order, the order was lost in transit, or Freshly contacted us and told us to not eat the food that was shipped because they were concerned the food may have been stored improperly by FedEx. That call is much appreciated, and Freshly was always great about giving us a credit when there was confusion, but the whole point of us trying Freshly was because we are very busy and we wanted to stop wasting money on fast food locally or struggling to prep meals for ourselves each week. Finding out at the last minute that the 12 meals we ordered weren't coming was even less helpful than before we started using them. I hate to bash them because I can only imagine the logistical nightmare of preparing meals and shipping them everywhere in the US. But we had to stop because of it and we actually found a local place that does meal prep without all the hassle. So look close to home first!
- Submitted By Michael Dangelo on 03/29/2019Been using it for a few months now, with the 6 per week plan. Meals are surprisingly good for what they are, however I wish the site saved my Tree Nut Filter. Theres a decent amount of food choice at a good price. Had a few issues with shipping arriving late, but Freshly was usually pretty accommodating, usually refunding the price of the late delivery along with a discount off the next one.
- Submitted By Jennifer Christie-Jump on 03/25/2019HORRIFIC delivery service!! The food is good quality but for the last 4 weeks our delivery hasn't shown up!! I've talked to the company weekly and I was promised new empty promises!! Still nothing but they're dedicated on taking the money on a regular timely manner. After 4 weeks of taking my money but not providing the promised service it should be considered stealing and they should be held accountable!! BUYER BEWARE - DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE - VERY VERY UNRELIABLE!
- Submitted By Terrill Barnes on 02/27/2019Too... Many occasions when meals have been late or not arrive at all. NOT A RELIABLE FOOD DELIVERY CONPANY.
- Submitted By LISA on 03/23/2019I have tried many different delivery services. I love to cook and have no problems in the kitchen, however sometimes shopping and planning...well there is no time. I love that you can choose which recipes you like which meats ect. Why better than fast food and takes just about the same time. things I would like they change, less pots to clean, and tripe the veggies in each recipe; CUSTOMER SERCVICE IS THE BEST. However I wish they would not send a box unless I order, trying to remember to cancel for the week because I wont be home is something
- Submitted By Virginia Cole 11/28/2018When I first started using Blue Apron, I was amazed! The meals were delicious, flavorful, and very easy to prepare. We slowly switched to eating Blue Apron meals six days every single week and it was all great until a couple of months ago when they started sending the shipments late and missing the ingredients. Sometimes they don’t pack a garnish or a spice which isn’t a deal breaker but I’ve missed main ingredients a couple of times as well. Hope Blue Apron ups their game since I would really hate to switch companies after such pleasant experiences in the past.
- Submitted By Jan on 09/04/2018I have been using Blue Apron for about 10 months now. The ingredients are always fresh. The recipes have been delicious. And the variety and portion sizes make BA a top meal delivery service. I would recommend BA to anyone looking to cook healthy meal options. I love BA and can't imagine what I'd do without them now. I can't remember how we cooked prior to BA. Our meal planning before BA was so blah now that I think about it. Sign up for BA and you really will be glad you gave them a try.
- Submitted By Diana on 07/19/2018I've had two deliveries from Blue Apron so far and a third on the way, but I cancelled to check out Home Chef, of which I got my first box yesterday. I switched from BA because 1) I got zucchini in all three meals last week (I didn't bother to check out the detailed ingredients, so my bad) and because 2) BA doesn't have as many weekly choices as Home Chef.That said, I was sorely disappointed in the quality of Home Chef's veggies compared to Blue Apron's. I still have another box of BA coming and I'll give HC a few week's chance before I decide my final "go-to."I've been cooking from scratch for years and I shop at a "high-end" grocery store. I spend so much money a week on my elaborate meal plan, that these meal delivery services seemed more economical to me. So, depending on how you grocery shop and cook, this could actually save you money and leave you with less food waste.All in all, I was happy with the quality of BA's ingredients. Packaging is great. Recipe cards are easy to follow. It's all good stuff. I'd just like more variety each week, especially in the beef department. And less zucchini,
Freshly is a Paleo-inspired meal delivery service that brings you protein-packed, chef-prepared meals that are sure to keep you feeling full and energized throughout the day. If you are thinking about giving Freshly meals a try, be sure to read our detailed review of Freshly and check out Freshly reviews written by more or less satisfied customers.
Freshly delivers cooked meals while Blue Apron provides pre-portioned ingredients and recipes so you can prepare your meals.
Freshly offers 4 different plans based on the number of meals you want to receive, including Freshly 4, Freshly 6, Freshly 9, and Freshly 12. If you opt for Freshly, you choose anything from their weekly menu, which means you will receive only the food you truly enjoy eating.
Blue Apron offers Mediterranean-inspired, vegetarian, omnivore, and kid-friendly recipes, along with recipes crafted in cooperation with WW, Weight Watchers reimagined. Omnivore, vegetarian, and Mediterranean-inspired recipes are available with the 2-Serving Signature plan. Kid-friendly and omnivore meal ideas are included in the 4-Serving Signature plan. Vegetarians can opt for the specially designed 2-Serving Vegetarian plan. WW-approved recipes are exclusively available with the 2-Serving WW Freestyle meal plan.
Freshly takes the lead here with 30 mouthwatering dishes on the menu each week, including 25 succulent entrees and 5 hearty breakfasts. With Freshly, you will always have something new and delicious on your table. Unfortunately, you may not be completely satisfied with their offer if you are a vegetarian, as they introduce only one vegetarian entree weekly.
Blue Apron has 22 items on its weekly menu. The items are divided into 4 sections that correspond to the 4 meal plans. The 2-Serving Signature section includes 8 recipes, the 4-Serving Signature section features 5 recipes, the 2-Serving Vegetarian section has 3 recipes, and the 2-Serving WW Freestyle section contains 6 fresh recipes per week.
Both Freshly and Blue Apron offer highly nutritive meals that are good for your body. Freshly provides a nutrition card alongside every dish on the menu which informs you about its nutritional value in detail.
Blue Apron delivers wholesome ingredients and condiments for your tasty dinners. Each recipe contains the nutritional value of the meal you’re preparing, so you can order dishes according to your dietary needs.
Freshly and Blue Apron both pay close attention to the amount of food you get. Each serving from Freshly is enough to feed a grown-up. Their dishes are protein-packed, so you’ll be both full and provided with your daily dose of nutrients.
Blue Apron sends carefully pre-measured ingredients, so you always get enough food to feel satisfied after a meal. Servings are portioned for adults with the 2-serving plans and for a family of four with the 4-serving plan.
Flexibility is a great advantage of both companies. You can skip a week, change your order or cancel your subscription without any penalties with both Freshly and Blue Apron. You just need to inform the company in time – before they start processing your order.
Freshly is a bit more expensive than Blue Apron, but the good news is that it offers free shipping.
Freshly 4 costs $12.50 per meal, Freshly 6 and 9 are $9.99 per serving while Freshly 12 offers the best value for money with $8.99 for each meal.
Blue Apron’s 2-person boxes cost $9.99 per serving. With 4-person boxes, you pay $8.99 if you order 2 recipes, $7.99 if you order 3 recipes, and $7.49 if you order 4 recipes per week. Shipping is free on all 4-person boxes and 2-person boxes including 3 recipes. With 2-person boxes including 2 recipes, you pay a $7.99 shipping fee per delivery.