Hungryroot and Home Chef are designed to take the stress out of meal planning and this Hungryroot VS Home Chef comparison is designed to make it much easier to choose between them. Get a comprehensive overview of these companies’ crucial features and scroll down to discover the definite winner of the comparison.
- Average Price Per Meal: $69.00
- Shipping Cost: $0 *
- Delivery Area: 48 states
- Average Price Per Meal: $9.95
- Shipping Cost: $0 *
- Delivery Area: 48 states
Compare Meal Options
Compare Sample Meals
Compare User Reviews
- Submitted By Rosie Whittle on 06/10/2018Just discovered Hungryroots, a colleague brought their pad thai fried rice to work and it looked real good so we shared. I can’t remember having a better meal ever since I switched to plant based. I ordered the starter set today, if everything is as good as the rice, I’m getting a lifetime subscription :D
- Submitted By Joey Nash on 04/18/2018Everything great except for the portions, could be larger. I can eat the whole meal myself and it’s supposed to be 2 servings.
- Submitted By Lisa Henderson on 04/15/2018Got my first box yesterday, loved the packaging and everything looked and smelled really nice. I was just surprised that there are such great differences in taste and quality among meals, some were awesome and some just meh. But I guess it takes a couple of orders to figure out what you like.
- Submitted By TJ on 08/14/2018I am a very beginner cook so thought this service would be helpful and my review is through that lens. I have tried two other services so have now had time to compare. I had a Monday delivery. There are a few things to note. Instructions are not always clear (I have notes all over the recipes cards) and the timing of cooking is not within 30 minutes and there are some items cooked before others. The fresh fruit and veggies are not the freshest quality, had bruising and do not last as long as other companies making it impossible to stretch cooking to over five days instead of 3 in a row. Also the sizes can be really off in the veggies in particular and the recipes do not give other measurements (i.e. cup or weight) to help. The meat requires more "trimming" and had some bone in one piece - definitely not as well done as others. Requires alot more pots and pans and coordination than other services. At the end, the flavours of all three meals I tried was generally so-so and unbalanced. So, with more effort, more time, less quality ingredients and generally less tasty meals, this service wouldn't be my first choice. I came away feeling you get what you pay for and these meals are definitely not for beginner cooks.
- Submitted By Helen Dufreche on 08/14/2018OMG! First, let me say I NEVER leave bad reviews....however THIS company is SO bad, I actually researched online to see how to leave a review and spare others the terrible experience that I had! On my FIRST shipment, one of two sweet potatoes came soft with black spots all over it. I didn't notify the company, since I figured this was probably a one-time occurrence (WRONG). My SECOND shipment arrived and one of the many gel packs to keep the contents in the box cool had ruptured and there was a clear jelly substance over ALL of the contents in the box. I called and told them what had happened and questioned if it was safe to eat and I was told YES. My THIRD shipment arrived and when I opened the box a zucchini had white foam on it and was bad. I emailed them and they gave me a credit on my next box. My FOURTH and LAST box came with not one but TWO rotten baby cucumbers. COME ON!! This company needs to get it together! I deactivated my account and they wanted to know why....so I told them all that I am telling you now. They said they would give me a $15 credit. NO THANKS! I'm now with Hello Fresh and am happy. Do NOT use Home Chef! If you do, you WILL have problems!
- Submitted By Andrea Thompson on 08/07/2018Signed up for Home Chef 8 weeks ago and have received 8 boxes thus far. I have really enjoyed the meals but the packaging is terrible. Boxes arrive from FedEx looking like they have been kicked down several flights of stairs. The most recent box was delivered upside down and open with the meat bag exposed to the super hot Texas temperatures and the cold packs ripped open. I contacted customer service via email after calling and sitting on hold for an hour during their “open” hours. Still have not received a reply 3 days later. Have also been a Hello Fresh customer since Nov 2017. Never had any issues with them. Their packing is very sturdy and weather proof. Does Home Chef not care? After reading several similar reviews on this site, I will be pausing/canceling my subscription. Customer service cannot be this bad for a successful company.
- Submitted By Ms Ann on 08/05/2018I really like Home Chef. I paused my account about 3 months ago for personal reasons. I got an email from them saying my order would be delivered on wednesday. I didn’t order anything. I contacted customer support via email and my account was credited withing 45 min. Whaaaat? That was so easy. I was stunned. What a fantastic support team! When an if I return to food delivery my loyality is with Home Chef. I think have tried them all. Blue apron, hello fresh etc....I had to say Home Chef is the best hands diwn! Thank you again Hime Chef support team!
Home Chef is a meal kit delivery service that supplies you with only the freshest, highest quality ingredients. What sets it apart is the amazing variety of recipes you can choose from. To discover how the service works, what kind of recipes it offers, how much it costs, and whether it is right for you, read our detailed Home Chef review.